Friday, May 13, 2011

Thanks for the talk Lindsey... I am no longer avoiding my friends

Last week I wrote about how I felt like I was avoiding some of my nearest and dearest friends.  On Friday, I decided to "bite the bullet" and call my friend Lindsey.  She had a "little" boy in March.  It wasn't bad at all.  I really enjoyed talking to her and it made me realize that no matter what these girls are my friends.  There is no reason to avoid them.  In thinking about it now, we have been friends for almost 10 years.  We have seen each other through so many things.  Some have been joyful- graduations, engagements, weddings and some have been more painful- the loss of a close family member, fights or breakups and now the loss of a child.  Many of them are mothers and they all understand that I am not "over it."  Lindsey didn't even bring up Henry until I asked about him.  Talking to Lindsey reminded me that while they don't understand how it feels to loose a child, that isn't all that Olivia taught me.  I can still relate to the joy of the first time a baby sleeps through the night.  I still understand the hardships of breastfeeding.  I know the pain, joy and fear of delivery.

Thanks Lindsey... thanks for the good talk.  I needed to be reminded that we will always have things that we don't fully understand about each others hardships... but that doesn't mean we don't have anything in common.  We have 10 years behind us; 10 years of stories, memories and things we have in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment