Wednesday, July 27, 2011

So what now...

In the past few days I have got a lot of questions about what will happen now that we know for sure what happened to Olivia.  Well... first, we need to gain more information.  From the research I have done, it looks like the chances of having another child with a heart defect are a little higher then a normal pregnancy but I can't find that much information about agenesis gallbladder.  Also, I know that during our next pregnancy, I will need to do a fetal ekg.  What are the risks with that?  In order to find out more, I made an appointment at the Fetal Concerns Center at Milwaukee's Children's Hospital. 

The other part of our "what now" has to do with legal issues.  I can't say a lot about it but obviously, her heart defect went undiagnosed and day-care was at least somewhat neglectful in not calling us.  I have talked to people and they are looking over her medical records to see if there is a case.  It isn't easy.  I would rather not have to go through this but I feel that if we don't see this through then that would be like saying "it's okay."  And it isn't.  I don't expect anyone, doctors included, to be infallible but I do expect them to be held accountable.  If I made such an oversight at work I would at least want someone to bring it to my attention.  If nothing else, maybe it will be a learning experience.  A way to ensure it doesn't happen again.

So... that is where we are.  All in all these things are somewhat unpleasant.  I wish we didn't have to have a special appointment at Children's Hospital.  I wish that lawyers weren't part of my life.  But... now that we have the results I feel like we are starting to put one foot in front of the other again.  I feel like we are no longer in waiting mode.  Now we can work on figuring things out and that is the best I can hope for.

As usual, thanks to everyone who has called, e-mailed  and messaged us.  I might not be able to reply to everyone but your support does not go unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment