Friday, April 15, 2011

I made a doctor appointment...

This week I made an appointment at a new doctor to get checked to see how I am healing from the pregnancy and c-section.  I want to have a family again- probably sooner rather then later so I need to get checked to see what that means.  I have a lot of questions for this new doctor.  The way I see it this first "family planning" appointment is an interview.  I want to know everything this time.  I am also going to do a lot more research about the hospital and the pediatricians they have on call.  We choose this doctor from a recommendation from a friend of ours who had some complications of her own.  I need someone who is willing to go the extra mile to make sure I am taken care of.  That is so not my last doctor.

I can't say that I really disliked her until delivery day but even before that I was loosing confidence in her.  She didn't really answer the questions I had well enough but I thought that everything would be okay.  Maybe I should have asked more questions when Olivia was measuring so far behind and then ended up being 10 lb 10 oz?  But really... I don't think that I could have asked enough questions.  And then their was the labor and delivery.  It just wasn't a good experience, it was pretty bad actually and after that I had no confidence in her at all.  Finally, when Olivia died I called to ask her if there was anything I could do to stop my milk production... she couldn't have been more heartless during that conversation.  I will be happy not to see her again.

Anyway... I want to be more then prepared next time around.  I was fairly laid back during my first pregnancy but I don't think I will be that way next time.  I know I am going to be that mom who takes her child to the doctor for everything.  That's okay I guess.  In my opinion, I am justified and I am sure that I will find a doctor that understands that.  I used to have a general feeling that doctors were well educated and I should let them do their job.  Loosing Olivia changed that.  While I can't blame what happened on one person, I do think that in general modern medicine failed me.  Next time around I will ask a 101 questions.  Even if it does nothing more then make me feel better.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn,
    I work in health care (marketing) and want to tell you that you will find the right doctor/provider for yourself and a pediatrician that will let you be you/the kind of mom you need to be. Don't give up until your gut tells you've found the right one.

    You aren't the first - and won't be the last - person to "fire" a doctor. It's hard to do, but clearly the right choice. I mean, if we had a bad haircut we wouldn't go back. I'm glad to hear you're being proactive about your care!

    Hang in there. I hope the first meeting with the new OBGYN goes well. Good luck. I'm thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete