Monday, March 28, 2011

My birthday weekend in Chicago

This past weekend was awesome.  I am so lucky to have such a good husband and really great friends.  On Saturday morning we got up and took Miller to Camp Bow Wow.  Then we went to the mall in Vernon Hills for lunch and then some shopping.  A few hours later we met up with one of my best friends, Erica and her fiance, Stefan- off to downtown Chicago.  I had no idea what was in store.

As we pulled up to the hotel I was shocked.  We were staying at the Affinia- just off Madison Ave!  Sweet!  We had a few cocktails and got ready to go.  As we left for dinner I still had no idea where we were going.  When we pulled up to dinner I was a little confused.  The building was pretty nondescript and didn't look like a restaurant.  We were greeted by a mafia looking man with an Italian accent and needed a password to get in.  Apparently, we were at the 1920's "speakeasy," Tommy Gun's Garage.  Dinner was good and my long island is tea was really good.  During the show Stefan got pulled on stage for a sobriety test from the police.  It was so funny. 

After dinner and the show I found out there was still another surprise in store.  We got in the cab and off we went.  When we pulled up I had no idea where we were.  Why were we going to an office building?  It wasn't until we went inside that I saw the sign- The Hancock Building!!  Yeah. When we got up to the top we bypassed the line and went straight to our table AND Short, McNally, and Michelle were there waiting!  The view of Chicago was so nice and it was so good to catch up and hang out with people I have not seen in a very long time.

It was the very best weekend that I have had in a long time.  I have to admit, there were times when I really missed Olivia and as I told McNally about her I am pretty sure I cried but it wasn't at all bad.  The past week has been more happy then sad and although the sad times still make me feel like I have been punched in the gut, they are getting further and further apart.

So... thank you to everyone who made my birthday week just a little more special then usual.  If this is 29... I can't see what you and Nick have in store for 30!

1 comment:

  1. We also had a good time and I was really happy to see you too!

    ReplyDelete